Hampton's most noteworthy painter was Charles Henry Turner (1848 - 1908). Born in Newburyport in 1848, Turner grew up in Hampton, raised by his grandparents William and Theodate Goss at their home at the intersection of Lafayette Road and Watson's Lane.
Turner studied under Otto Grundmann at the Boston Museum School, starting in 1877. By 1881, Turner had become a painter by occupation. He studied in Europe in the 1880s, and later became a student of the White Mountain school of painting.
All paintings are located in the Turner Room of the Tuck Museum building.
|Click a thumbnail to see a larger image|
Scroll down to view thumbnails of each Turner painting.
Prints of paintings marked with an asterisk are available for purchase in the Museum Store's Print Catalog.
Smaller prints of all the images are contained in the booklet Paintings by Charles Henry Turner in the Tuck Museum, also available in the Museum Store
"Gundalow Near Hampton Landing"
Click here to view the drawing discovered on the back of this painting.
|"Stacking Hay on the Salt Marsh"|
|"Eldridge-Moulton House at North Beach"|
|"Fish Houses at North Beach"|
|"Charles Henry Turner and Wife Elise"|
|"William D. Goss and wife Theodate H. Goss"|
|"One Room Schoolhouse"|