The book History of the Town of Hampton, New Hampshire, from its settlement in 1638, to the autumn of 1892
by Joseph Dow (Salem Press Publishing) is considered the "bible" of Hampton History. Included with it is a nice historical map of Hampton, "showing the original boundaries of Hampton, as granted in the year 1638."
This map, when unfolded, measures 17.5 inches by 11 inches. We have scanned it at high resolution and are making it available for download. It is suitable for printing, up to its original size.
There are several versions available for view/download, via links below. Clicking any of these links will display the large image on your screen (although some browsers might be set to automatically downscale pictures to fit the screen). Each will take a long time to finish displaying - as long as 3 minutes with a 56K dial-up connection. Wait until it is fully displayed (your browser's activity indicator will stop).
You can then save and/or print the image. For more information on how to do this, see the Printing Images page for explicit instructions. Do not use your browser to print these images.
After displaying an image and saving it, use the Back button on your browser to return to this page.
- Complete Map This is the full image. It can be printed at any size up to the original 17.5 x 11 and yield sharp results. It looks nice printed on one regular 8.5 x 11 sheet in landscape format, although the printing is pretty small at this reduced size. Click here to display.
- Left-Half and Right-Half For folks with regular printers (that print on 8.5x11 paper), we have divided the image into a left and right half, with a little overlap in the middle. You can download each half and print each one at full size (200 DPI; portrait orientation) and then tape the 2 halves together to yield a map very close to the size of the original.
- Click here to display the left half.
- Click here to display the right half.
- Smaller Section Maps Within the map itself are 3 smaller maps, showing the Meeting House Green area, the North Hill part of Hampton, and the Hampton Falls Hill area. These are located in the lower left and right and upper center area of the fullmap (see picture above). Even at the original size, these are small and hard to read. We have blown these up to twice normal size, suitable for printing on 8.5x11 paper.
Click here to display the Meeting House Green map, which has its own featured page off the main Maps page.
The other 2 small maps are:
- Click here to display the North Hill map
- Click here to display the Hampton Falls Hill map